Tuesday, June 09, 2009


Dorothy King (nee Kintigh)
Originally uploaded by Elessar
This is my paternal grandmother. She's the only surviving grandparent I have right now. I've really enjoyed growing up near my grandma. My family is mostly farmers and she's no exception. She grew up on my great-grandfather's farm, and lives right next to his farm house. My grandfather passed away back in 1980, so she's been on her own for a long time. She turns 91 on June 10. I really enjoy when when she and her sister get together. Then look out. They are so ornery, even today. I could just picture the two of them as young girls running around the farm, looking for trouble. She had 4 other siblings: three brothers and one sister. Only one brother and the sister are left.

My grandfather was a very quiet man and didn't talk much. When ever I would visit, I would ask him how he was doing and Grandma would answer for him. I used to think he was a ventriloquist and say, "Grandpa, I didn't even see your lips move." She's been a great woman to grow up with. She has a great sense of humor and has always been a caring person.

Happy Birthday, Grandma!

No comments: